Monday 28 April 2008

Artist’s Statement - Summer 2008

Outside our village hall there stands a memorial. It is designed with a cross and circle intertwined atop an obelisk style shape. I’ve never really understood why obelisk type design structures are so often used and found in our major capital cities; London, Washington, Paris, Rome etc. I do understand that the names from Bloomfield to Brothers to Hogg represent young people who died believing they were putting their lives on the line for their families, friends and future generations. I understand that when Winston Churchill warned Parliament from the back benches of the impending danger of Hitler, many of his fellow MP’s derided him; suggesting the silly old fool shut up and retire.

In recent years I have vocally supported Blair and Bush’s invasion of Iraq, believing, according to the information laid before me, there was justification. I now feel ashamed of voicing such opinion as I did, for example, at Turkish dinner tables. I now ask for forgiveness and support the call for an instant withdrawal from Afghanistan, Iraq and that ‘we’ stop being the policemen of the world.

I demand at least a new enquiry into the events of 9/11. I ask that suspicions be addressed regarding those THREE steel structured buildings being blown-up by controlled explosions; I am afraid that the destruction of those 3 buildings was not caused solely by aeroplane collision and it seems unlikely that fire could have pulverised such steel structured buildings. I call upon the editors of all newspaper publications and media outlets; including local newspapers of Bury, Diss and Thetford, to stand up and be counted; to do their duty and as Churchill voiced his concerns over the Third Reich, for us to voice our concerns over a similar movement active today, but wearing a different face.

I do not know the whole truth; how could I? But, I do know our politicians and media are presenting daily tosh and nonsense and demand a re-evaluation of the path our society is taking today. Our children are tomorrow’s future and we must help them to realise a peaceful and healthy future.

I demand some semblance of common sense and truth.
I yearn for Peace at Home, Peace in the World.

Ned Pamphilon
English artist